Monday, December 3, 2012

MAHA 2012 / A Typical Trip Home.



MAHA 2012
An Apps to identify the Rubber Tree Clone.
Malaysian Agriculture, Horticulture and Agro-tourism 2012.
Attended this exposition as it’s only held once in 2 years. On the previous visit back in 2010, I was just too fresh and didn’t know what to look for. 

A typical trip for me to Kuala Lumpur incur a long traveling time. Have to wake up early, like 5.30 am. Make my way to town, take the first express bus at 7.00 am. Another bus is at 8, but to be on the safe side, I usually takes the 1st trip as I do not want to miss my flight. It takes about 3 hours for the express bus to go to the city Kota Kinabalu from Keningau. The airport is along the traveling route before the city and I usually arrange with the driver to drop me off at the nearest bus stop. The airport in Kota Kinabalu has 2 sides, KKIA, Kota Kinabalu International Airport and LCT Tg. Aru, Low Cost Terminal Tanjung Aru. Both involve a walk from the main road. KKIA being closer to the main road, it’s just a 10 minutes’ walk. LCT Tg. Aru is much further from the main road, a longer 30 minutes’ walk. Tanjung Aru town is along the route and I usually stop there for a break as most of the time I’m early. Have a rest, a cup of tea before proceeding.
Contract Farming.
Waiting time at the airport is also quite long, advance check-in like 45 minutes before the gate close, custom clearance, waiting to board. Being air conditioned, it’s still acceptable. My flight is usually in the afternoon, 2.00 pm. Flight time is about 2 hours 45 minutes. As usual, to disembark takes about 45 minutes.
A 15 minutes walk to express bus station to catch a bus to the city. If I miss the bus, then I shall have to wait for another half hour. Usually with the after office hours rush, a normal 1 hour 15 minutes journey can at times get extended to 2 and a half if it rain. From the city in Kuala Lumpur, I take the LRT train home. Arrange for a pick-up at the nearest LRT station. By the time I reach home, it most probably about 7.30 pm.

Attended Maha 2012 the next morning, it open at 10.00 am. Parking was a mess as we were given the run about to the assigned car park. A short 10 minutes’ walk took care of that. Started with Hall A, B then C. It then started to rain. I only manage to visit a few booths that interest me. I find that most of the booths are geared towards the public, rather than commercial farming. Also I find quite a large numbers of exhibitor that is not that relevant. I see booths selling irrelevant books, clothing, food, and even ladies accessories.
As other halls are quite far from these, open concept and with the rain, I just finish off the agro-bazaar, bought some durians and went off. This trip felt a bit disappointed.

Manage to visit the bigger exhibit, mainly Government establishment. Some of the stuff that interest me is a company incorporating solar energy to farming and Post harvesting management. Manage to speak to a Roselle manufacture and there may be a lead for supplying / contract framing. The problem for me is that our farm is in Sabah and their facility is in Peninsular.  Bought some publications off MARDI and collected some catalogs hopping that these maybe be of use to me.

Solar powered insect zapper.
Coating for post harvesting.

Hydroponic

Rain guard system.
Hope the next exhibition is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment