Monday, November 25, 2013

Riding up to Fraser's Hill Benelli Keeway TX 200 & Honda CBR1000rr.

Took a joy ride to Fraser's Hill with a friend. Started off after meeting up at R&R Jejantas Sg. Buloh. Fill up our tank. Pump up the tires, 210 kpa front & 200 kpa rear. My friend says he knows the way, so he lead. We head up the North South Highway. As he was leading, I just followed. Traffic was heavy as it's a Saturday, plus school holidays. I ride on a relax mode, cruising at 100 Km on the highway, and 60 ~ 90 Km on the trunk road. When we stopped at a traffic junction, I check with him why are we taking a detour. He said, heavy jam at Rawang, need to avoid. Anyway, we reach Kuala Kubu Baru, did a refill as was told there are no petrol station in Fraser.

Had a short stop to chat after Kuala Kubu Baru. It's refreshing after Highway & trunk roads. After KKB, it's B & C roads. There is a water catchment, Paretak Dam, with a few scenic stop points. As this is a riding trip, I didn't stop. Maybe on my next solo trip I shall. After passing the dam, the road got narrower, C road. I started to experiment with the TX200. Playing with the gears. For flat road, the gears are well spaced for a relax rid. Doing 60 to 90, no stress to the bike.

After a while, my friend start to lag behind. I overtook him. The road got narrower and twistier. Road surface is also bad, uneven, small pot holes and sandy corner. Being a light weight bike it's easy to maneuver and avoid those. I had a fright hitting Chilling Waterfall. It was a sharp left bender, a narrow old bridge, the suddenly lots of vehicles parked by the road side and plenty people (Saturday & School holidays). Stopped for a moment to regain my composure. My friend then over took me. I played chase up for a while, then over took him again. The road is getting twistier, fun is beginning. Was having some difficulty maneuvering the bend. This is when I decide to switch my riding pasture, from relaxing to aggressive motard style. Sat nearer to the fuel tank, crank up my arms (crab style) and stand pushing the handle bar on the corner. It was a great feeling, taking on endless bends. These bends can even scrap my toes. Also be caution on the right hander. It's quite easy to scrape the rear break when you corner and brake. It's so pleasurable.


Had another stop just as we climb the Fraser Hill. Another short chat. My friend says he is struggling with the CBR1000rr. Being a heavy bike, narrow C roads, short sharp corner, uneven corners and unfamiliar road. Starting here it's a one way street, all vehicles in 1 direction. I guess we were early and we're the only bikers. We make arrangement to meet up at Fraser and ask me not to wait for him. Again the climb is extremely "funtastic" Sharp short  uphill bend. Shifting between Gear 2 & 3 offers the best ride. Down shift to 1st gear made the TX200 skid at the rear, accelerating out of a corner is too slow & stressful. Met a couple of cars going up along the way, all of them were very "gentlemenly", give way for me to overtake even on sharp corners. I guess they must had seen me having so much fun enjoying the ride. My mind was already thinking, how would a KTM 390 feel on this uphill road? Felt that the climb is just too short, reached Fraser's Hill. Park and waited for my friend. Had a short chat, my friend insisted his bike is not suitable for this trip. it's so tiring for him and the bike. Him hands are trembling, due to the weight of his body (sport position), also very tiring negotiating the slow sharp corners. The temperature of the bike is also high, the twin cooling fan was blowing fanatically even is parking. The Benelli on the other hand was just fine, not hot as there is an oil cooler. The my friend pointed out the exhaust cover.  
One screw had dropped off and the other screw is loose, about to drop. Thank goodness it's still holding the cover. Tried to find the tools and didn't know how to open the seat. Finally found a small tool box tuck on the left rear mudguard. Tighten the screw just to hold it temporary. Need to find a screw when I'm back in KL. My friend suggested stainless steel screws.

Went for lunch at the golf club, they had it rented out to a malay restaurant. It was self service. Had rice and chicken, with a couple of vege. 2 Pesi Cola to go with. Amount to RM$ 18.00. As we were having lunch, other bikes started to roll in.
This Versys has a gear lever "socks" installed. It's a rubber based sock, covering the gear lever, non marring, so as not to leave a mark on your shoes.


This Honda VFR 12000 really caught my eye. Check out the exhaust, it's so sexy. Single swing arm, shaft driven.

Going down hill, the road started as a 2 way street, until we reached a school. After that, it's 1 way street. Met a couple of vehicles along the way, again they make way for me. I played with 2nd, 3rd gears, slipping the clutch, brakes front and rear. It was so exciting. Sound of the blabbering exhaust of Leo Vince Cobra was ecstatic  Made me feel that I'm young again (ahem), thinking of my teens. Return trip is also fun, motard style. I started to enter and exit corners at a higher speed and higher angle as my confidence is back. Wishful thinking, a gear indicator and a tachometer should be nice. Again wondering how a KTM Duke 390 would fare on this trip. Slowed down to a relax ride after I reach Chilling Waterfall. My friend caught up, we ride together. When we reach Paretak Dam my friend signal that he'll ride off. I signal back that I'll need to refill up front. Off he rode went.

Met him again at KKB Petronas. Told me that he's riding off home, so we said goodbye. It was a boring ride back to KL for me. Made my way via the old road and hit the highway at Bukit Beruntung.

I stopped by a motorshop at Pudu to look for the screw. Couldn't find 1 that fit. Went to another shop, managed to find an old screw. Doesn't matter, screw it up 1st as it's almost 5 in the evening.

When to Jalan Loke Yew, Asia Bolts & Nuts bought the sample. Got 2 sets of stainless steel with spring washer, RM$1.50. No more rust.


Hope to go riding again soon. Oh yeah, just received a call from my friend, this time Genting Highlands.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you love it here. It's a chilling and beautiful place up here. Great for nature lover. Been going back and forth from KL to FH for two years now. Love the journey, and attach to the destination. Come back to FH on May to June when there will be a bird race every year where 250 beautiful and eye-catching bird migrate here every year. Reading your post makes me want to get my hands on TX 200 soon. Driving all the way up every week though... hahaaa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, FH brings back great memories. Surprisingly I don't see much development after all these years. Yes, there are changes but still give me the "relax" feel. Shall definitely be back next year.

      Delete