Sunday, February 23, 2014

Propagating Avocado Cuttings.

Saw in the internet that a couple of guys did propagating Avocado via cuttings. All mentioned that the successful rate is very low. After much consideration, I think it could work. As whatever I get is a bonus as I have scions, but no more graft-able rootstock.

Was very excited over this. I initially planned to put this on trial in April after my vacation. I just couldn't contain my excitement and put it on trial.

Left over scions.
I used the left over scions, after grafting a10 avocados. The cuttings are about 6 inches in length. Sealed up the top with wax, made  2 cuts at the bottom. Apply rooting hormone. Stick them on a loosen patch and watered them.

Since I was at it, I collected more cuttings from our plantation. I prune the 2nd flowering tree as it is too dense. I manage to seed just a few fruits about to set. I avoided those branches..

I also tried out Tree Wound dressing. This is a tar based dressing. Good for working on large or plenty wounds / cuts. I feel wax still has it's use, like sealing the graft tapes ( as I'm reusing them). Limitation of wax is strong wind, it dries fast, heat too high for young scions & etc.
Nufarm Tree Dressing.

Instruction for use.

After pruning.
Collected about a gunny sack. Cut them up, slightly longer this time, 6 ~ 8 inches. Seal top with Nufarm tree dressing. Tried from no cut to various cut on the bottom. Apply rooting hormone and stick them into the patch. The patch is under a 70 % shade netting. Water regularly to eep moist.


Done. Avocado cuttings.

On leave for a month. Shall see how they can withstand when I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment