Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Starting Fig Cultivation In Malaysia.

Cultivating Fig in Malaysia is an expensive game. Ever since I wanted to start on Fig 2 months ago, I had been trying to get some cuttings to start off. Getting cuttings from Malaysia is rather pricey (personal opinion). Also I feel that most are moving from cuttings to air layering. As with roots and leafs, it is even more pricey. Some are moving to potted plants, the bigger the plant, higher the price.
Black Mission.


LSU Gold.
Was thinking of keeping the cost down as I wasted to start off with some cuttings to expedite the incubation time. So I look into bringing in cuttings on my own. Brought in a couple of batches, some were good, most are not. Things to consider while bringing in on your own.
Black Jack.

Seller,
A reputable seller should knows how to handle the cuttings, packaging and shipping. Depending on where it's from, shipping takes a long time. An experienced international seller would had all these issues sorted out. Unfortunately it's difficult to find.

Time of buying,
Depending on where it's shipped from, freshly cut budding cuttings are important. Some sellers cut and store the cuttings. Early part of the year is a better time to buy as the trees had just came out of dormancy. Some better seller does tell you, no not this time.

Shipping,
Look into shipping cost. There are EMS, International Mail and etc. Courier is the fastest, but cost is highest. You'll need to work out between cost & speed. Being in East Malaysia is even worst as all shipping has to go to central for custom inspection, then ship again to East Malaysia.
Portugal.
Another major factor is that being a newbie, I just don't have the experience of taking care of Fig, let alone sick Fig. Some batch arrived DOA (dead on arrival), and you don't even have any chance of nursing it.
Other risk as customs confiscation, lost in transit....& etc.

My opinion is that for a newbie and if you don't want to over spend your budget, just try to get 1 locally, a potted growing plant. Even with a high cost (since it's just 1). Play & learn with it. Get the cheapest that you can find.

For me, I choose bringing in on my own, it is fun, adventurous and a very good challenge. A great experience. Yes, you does end up using more funds but then the joy & grief  outweighs it. Moreover you get to go on a fantastic journey. As with all hobbies, be caution, it is ADDICTIVE. Just do it at your own pace and limitation.


More FIG.
Had found more sources for FIG from overseas, but have to stop for a while, get these planted first.

35 comments:

  1. hi, im interested to buy 1 small tree of black jack. do u sell. please email me azrirahim@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ahmad, sorry, all my black Jack died. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raymond, I wish to buy any type. Is there any for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Jon, the figs are still too immature to propagate at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm a Vegan from Penang. I'm interested to buy some of the fig cutting from you. Please feel free to contact me at wierlliemz@gmail.com Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Wierlliemz Chan, the fruits of the Black Mission had all dropped, now am not sure if these stocks are good for Malaysia, have to wait till next season to confirm if these can set fruits. Don't want to sell Figs that cant fruit in Malaysia. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, good luck to you on next session. Do inform if it works. TQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Raymond, Are buah ara and figs the same. Good luck in your venture. I have just started too and it is addictive.
    Salmah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Salmah din, thank you for your visit. Yes, Ara, Tin, Fig are the same. Good luck to you too. Am already transferring the figs to our farm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you ever so very much for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm interested to buy some of the fig cutting from you. Please feel free to contact me at dhizull@gmail.com Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I'm interested to buy some of the fig cutting from you. Please feel free to contact me at ch9wong@gmail.com Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Raymond, I really love figs and am thrilled they can be planted in msia! would like to buy a live plant or cuttings from you. Pls email me at lauliyen@gmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Raymond,
    I love figs and would appreciate if you sell a fig plant to me. Pls email me at : wvoo@hotmail.sg
    Thanks
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Wendy, sorry for the late reply. Our fig as still too small to propagate. I guess it shall take another year before we can do that.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Raymond!

    I am helping my lecturer gather info on fig cuttings and where they will be available for sale and also their price. I would like to get more info from you if that's okay with you.

    Please email me at iqinismail93@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Raymond,
    I am Choo from Melaka. I would like to purchase fig plant from you. I hope to get your kind response. My e mail is choo_cc@yahoo.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I'm interested to buy some of the fig cutting or a small plant from you. I have a small land space and would like to plant it in a pot/urn. What is the average height when planted in an urn? Please feel free to contact me.
    My email is teobetsy@yahoo.com


    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm looking for the American species of figs tree cuttings. Anyone has it?
    wtmkesong@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Raymond, I'm from kedah and found intrested to fig planting after viewed few fig's blog include yours. I'm looking on those fig fruite with sweety or honey likes taste and not to be forgetten a juicy type too.

    So, pls email me your list of variety and stock that avail to let go.
    My email: keanhon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KeanHon, thank you for your interest. Kindly check on Facebook, I think there is a couple of fig farm in Kedah and you can get figs from them. Thank you.

      Delete
  22. Hi Raymon,

    I am from seremban and newbie to Figs, i am interested to buy some cutting or potted plant from you. what is the price and where is your nursery.

    My email address is juanyoong@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JY Chua for your visit & interest, very sorry am temporary away from my farm at the moment.
      I think there are some people selling Figs in Seremban. As a newbie kindly consider to start of with some hardy / low cost fig as it may die on you due to improper care.

      Delete
  23. why only cuttings; cant the seeds be germinated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lant fruits faster if we propagate from cuttings (cloning)Should we plant from seeds, it takes a longer time for the plant to mature & fruits. Also some fruits do not have pollinated seeds, hence can not be germinated.

      Delete
  24. Hi Raymond
    Do you have any fig plants or cutting for sale now? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found some trees near ampang park (car park, adjacent to G-Tower), is it a Fig Tree? I see another one near my building City one, behind Dang Wangi Police quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Raymond
    Do you have fig plan or cutting to sale now?
    Email me at klneng@yahoo.com or klneng@gmail.com
    Regards
    Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Raymond
    Do you have fig plan or cutting to sale now?
    Email me at klneng@yahoo.com or klneng@gmail.com
    Regards
    Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  28. From Sri Lanka. Like to learn and grow figs which is not available in Sri Lanka. No figs here. CAn sotings and advising me technically as to how get rooted and how to take care of Figsmeone assist me by selling few cut

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pplease email me. sam@sathkumara.com

    ReplyDelete