Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Planting Avocado Seeds Upside Down.

Saw an article on this "method" to create seeds with multiple shoots plant the seed upside down. Just for fun, I planted some seeds upside down, side ways and mostly the natural right way up.

As I'm potting the sees to the poly bags, I examined the seeds. This seeds was planted upside down. It has 3 shoots. The roots tap tried to grow up, but terminated. Side roots then grew down. The shoots grew down but turned up.

Another upside down seed, but only 1 shoot.

The root grew out from the side then turned down.
 A nature right way up with 3 shoots.

 Another nature right way up with 2 shoots.
Seed planted side way.

The way I see it, planting the seeds upside down doesn't guarantee multiple shoot. If multiple shoot is required, I feel the a better way shall be when the seed germinate, cut off the shoot closest to the seed.

At this moment I have no interest on multiple shoot as I germinate the seeds to graft and the only variety I have at the moment is Borneo Avocado. These are for planting in our farm. So I require seeds to grow single stem, big, fast and strong so that I can reduce "nursery" time.

In the future, I may look into this again as I do see a potential on Multiple stems seedlings. When I have other Avocado varieties, I shall try to graft a different variety to each stem. This shall be suitable for home growers, where land is limited. By planting 1 tree with different varieties (different fruiting time), hopefuly the owner can have fruits almost all year round.




1 comment: