Saturday, September 29, 2012

Soursop, Annona Muricata

Soursop, Annona Muricata, also know as Durian Belanda in Malaysia. We have a Soursop tree in our little farm, that wasn't planted intentional. I only noticed it a few months back and was told by our helpers that it's a Soursop tree. At one time, it was infected with caterpillars and the leaves were eaten off. We had the caterpillars removed manually and the tree quickly bounce back healthily.
Recently there were request for the soursop leaves as it's said to help in reducing high blood pressure. I myself tasted the tea, and find it refreshing with a nice aroma. A search on the internet, claims that it helps in insomnia, diarrhea and even claims that it cure certain cancer.
From my perspective, the soursop is drought resistance and hardy. It is a smaller tree, can be inter-crop with bigger trees like avocado (which we are working on) as it can tolerate growing in partial shade. This shall fit well into our rubber plantation (in-between terrace). I think there is a demand for soursop as fresh fruits and I don't think it's grown on a commercial scale in our area.
Since there is a tree in our farm, we are looking into ways to propagate it.
We had a few cutting made and see if it grows. Shall be looking for seeds and try germination. Looking for the sweet variety as we intend to plant it as fresh fruits. In the meantime shall also check out if there is a market segment for the leaves.





The Soursop tree next to the black water tank.
Had the tree pruned today and used the cuttings for propagation. Shall have update after my vacation. Stay tune for updates.
















The Soursop cuttings with roots enhancer.

Our Soursop after pruning.

Starting to flower. We can most probably obtain scion for our grafting soon.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Khun Wong, yes, got it's first fruit on 22nd Mar 2013 and had fruited a couple of times (maybe 3 times). I had even germinated some new plants from it's fruits and the latest batch is at a tiny 2 1/2 inches tall. :-)

      Delete
  2. HI...are you still planting soursop ? can u give me your address via email ?
    i wish to visit your farm...

    mandypuisiong@hotmail.com
    0162900109

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your visit Mandy. Of course. Sending you a email. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, u own a soursop farm??i need soursop fruits and leaves to treat cancer
    Please email me your contact and farm address at kennychit@hotmail.com or 0163101011

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI, u own a soursop farm??i need soursop fruits and leaves to treat cancer
    Please email me your contact and farm address at kennychit@hotmail.com or 0163101011

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I am interested in growing a soursop farm in my country Nigeria. Please how to I get already germinated seed? here are my contacts kingsley.hillary@fitsal.org, kingsleyhillary1@gmail.com +2348030688726. Thank you

    ReplyDelete