Thursday, December 6, 2012

Failed Grafting

Came back to my farm on the 3rd December 2012, after attending MAHA 2012 and spent some time home with my family. Finished checking on all my grafting, Avocado, Jackfruit and Rubber trees.

My blistered hand, after a week of treatment with moisturizer.
Avocado, I did about 140 plants. I now have 20 plants that I feel is good. 40 plants that is budding and 20 plants on a 'maybe'. Those that I feel is good, I've loosen the grafting tapes and plastic bags. The budding and 'maybe' plants, I had remove the tie on the plastic bag, hoping to reduce the humidity. Removed weeds and those unwanted buds on the rootstock. This is to "force" the grafted buds to grow.

For those failed plants, I had put them aside. I find that maybe half of them can be reused, some need time to regrow and some totally 'dead'. I consider this as another failed run as I am targeting a 85% successive rate.

The failed Avocados.
Jackfruit, I did about 90 plants. Have 10 budding, and 4 'maybe'. I thought Jackfruit was the 'easier' one and I was totally wrong. Maybe it's due to the latex?

From the failed plants, I find that most of the scion dried and even rotted. Am still trying to diagnose what went wrong. Too young  rootstock? Wrong Technique? Bad scion? Too much tension on the grafting tape? From the failed plants I had quite a high numbers totally 'dead'. Another failed run.

The failed Jackfruits & Rubber trees.
Rubber trees. I did 6 of them, all failed. I tried 2 side veneer, 1 T-bud and 2 bark graft. This maybe be most probably due to the not so fresh scion. The scion was taken from our Parcel 3 and was left for a day ( water soak) before grafting. There were no damage to all the 6 plants, other than the part on the graft not "taking".

Guess I on the next coming week, shall savage the failed Avocado first as I feel that I have improvement on the Avocado.

Stay tune for more updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment