Thursday, September 26, 2013

Jackfruit Side Veneer Graft.

Side Veneer Grafting On Jackfruit.

Decided to try out Side Veneer grafting on the Jackfruit. Most of the rootstock is from the failed previous cleft grafting.

Reasons that I trying out side veneer is that
1) it may be easier to align the cambium layer.
2) we may extend the joint to a longer graft.
3) it may be easier to graft on different diameter.
4) it may be easier, less laborious to cut the rootstock and scion.


Young Jackfruit scion.
First I cut off the top to about 6 to 10 inches. It's easier to work with.
 Then I prepare the scion. Scion of about 6 to 10 inches is used. I am targeting a joint of 4 to 6 inches. I cut starting from the tip and splice it down. Had started to use new growth scion.

Jackfruit rootstock, side veneer grafting.

 Then I do a side cut by first cutting into the lower section of the rootstock like a side wedge. I go back from the top, do a side cut and stop as soon as I feel the that I've cut off the soft part, before the hard section. Splice this down until the lower cut.
Matching the Jackfruit scion to the Jackfruit rootstock.
 The lower tip of the scion is wedge shaped and inserted into the lower cut of the rootstock. I align the scion slightly for cambium contact.
Wrapping the side veneer Jackfruit graft.
 I start of the wrapping and realign along the way. I try to align as best a I can on one side, but sometimes if it is not straight, I shall cross it to the other side. Am reducing the wrapping pressure due to my previous experience and also in view of the young scion.
Finished Jackdfruit graft.
 Finishing off with a plastic bag and tie up to prevent it from blowing off. Keeping these in a shaded area, 90% Shade screen.
Storing my grafted Jackfruit trees.
 Some of the grafted trees.
My grafting position.
Doing grafting under shade. It's much cooler.
















Over grown Jackfruit rootstock.

 The over grown roostock.
Add caption

Top deactivated.
 Cutting off the top.
Jackfruit rootstock.


Note the bud.


Cap the grafted Jackfruit with a plastic bag to prevent humidity lost.
 A not so straight scion.

Matching the length.

Matching up.

My view, under the citrus tree, doing side veneer grafting on Jackfruit.
Mid day now. Sun is getting pretty hot and almost directly over head. Time to move into the shade.

This time I did 8 trees on the scion taken from the Honey Jackfruit. The 4 new plants that I have. Hope they can grow more buds after this. Just for the fun of it I did 2 for the soursop :-)

Had done all I could before I go on leave. Shall be back end of the month. This time hope I can achieve my 30%. Stay tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment