Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Farming & Technology. Yes, We Are On GoogleMap 2015.

Technology & Farming.

We are on GoogleMap 2015. Yes, we are ecstatic about this. We initially purchase a drone, thinking of doing our own mapping. As my partner were training to operate our drone, we realized that we are already on googlemap.

Our Drone, with a camera for still pic & movie.
Guess we shall keep our drone for other uses, like providing more up to date pictures, inspection of difficult to access area....& etc.

What are we doing with Googlemap? This does ease our planning. Like for this instant, am on vacation to celebrate Chinese New Year, I can still plan & evaluate our progress. Isn't this amazing?

Direction of land, hence sunlight (sloppy land gets uneven sunlight). Access roads & connectivity. Direction to the nearest town (mobile signal).
A small section in Parcel 1 that had not been planted.
A small section in Parcel 1, I knew about this place, but didn't take any action on this as it's just a small patch, maybe I can just fit in 2 to 3 trees. I shall have this planted as soon as I get back.


Solar Energy
This is a favorite subject for my partner. W have maybe 3 small panels at the moment as we are in a off grid area. We figure it may take 3 to 5 more years before we can have electric from the grid. Most technology need power. At this moment we can power up small devices, charge mobile phones ...& etc. We are using solar rechargeable touch lights. We are all for Affordable Green Energy.

Image taken from the internet.

Another technology we are looking at is the Insect Killer. Am going to explore to deploy solar powered insect zapper / drowner. If this works, it may help reduce the level of pesticide required.

Internet
Internet had provided me with lots of information as well as inspiration. It has boosted my farming effort as well as self improvements. Allowing me to connect with people who shares the same passion, all around the globe. Many thanks to Avocado Lovers Malaysia in Facebook, that had given me a great moral boost in my quest on Avocado. Appreciation to my overseas friend that inspired me leading to a major improvements to my grafting. Thank you.
Am using these connectivity to learn more about marketing, product branding, product processing & etc.

We are always on the look out for low cost & useful technology for our farm.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Raymond,
    I stumbled upon your site when I was googling for avocado tree for sale in Malaysia. I'm wondering if you've any plans to sell self-germinated avocado plant variety from your farm for home gardening?

    I also noticed that you're trying to establish an off-grid solar charge system. I've installed solar charge auto watering system at my home balcony and there shouldn't be a problem to establish it on bigger scale at your place.
    Do you need any help on the schematics?

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Springy Jottings,
      Sorry for the late reply, was away and just came back.
      Thank you for your interest, yes, am planning to sell the Avocado plants, but at the moment we are still struggling to produce for our own usage. Am making arrangement to transfer some plant here (Kuala Lumpur) maybe next month, subject to availability.
      Yes, am trying to establish a solar system, but am doing it slowly, most probably for charging gadgets and lighting 1st. Watering, most probably on a later date as the are other issues. Am exploring other watering system, that may be more cost effective. We have issues of water supply, which is far and low ( more than 100 M ). This shall need a lot of energy to move the water. Shall post more on the temporary watering when we experiment on it.

      Delete
  2. Hello Raymond,
    Thanks and really appreciate your reply. Can you please let me know when you are able to transfer some avocado plants over to KL? I am from Penang, but I would be glad to drive down to KL to get the plant from you.

    In the meantime, I've spoken to Jabatan Pertanian in Penang Island last weekend and the person in charge mentioned that there're possibilities to get government grant for agriculture industry. In fact, there are many other avenues to get government grants for agriculture/aquaculture sector nowadays. Perhaps you've explored this possibility else it would be good to approach them for further help; from technology and monetary aspects.

    As for the water supply issue, have u thought about a combination of solar + wind powered charging stations to maximize the potential? You might want to check out China based online shopping website called TaoBao as they sell their products at almost cost price. I get most of my stuff from there.

    Hope to see you soon Raymond. Please keep in touch.
    my email is andrew5399@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete