Monday, August 19, 2013

Repairing Nursery.

The Nursery had broken down and over ran with weeds after I came back to our little farm. Was away for about 3 months. It was erected partially with wood and bamboo. The bamboo had decayed and fell down. Our nursery was built in 3 stages, over a period of time. It started out very small and was extended. The last stage was the largest as we were seeding Gaharu (Agarwood).

Lots of the seedlings had also died due to the drought. With unprotected sun light, the seedlings just couldn't withstand.



Had managed to transfer all the surviving seedlings to ploy bags. With that cleared, I started to dismantle the shade first. Had to do it carefully as I hope to reuse them.

Dismantled and lay it on the ground so that I can roll it for storage. Have to use our field ladder as the height was above my head. Had a couple of falls as the ground was uneven and soft due to the rain. The shade gets easily hooked to nails, wood splints and etc. At times I had to cut out a section to dislodge it. Yet at the same time had to try to keep them in a long piece. If it's too short, then it's difficult to reuse.
 Saw off the horizontal frame and dismantle the nursery to half size.
Strengthen the vertical pole with "ram" earth. Secured the horizontal pole. As the wood tend to crack at the edge, I used wire to tie them up.

 Once I got the poles secured, I instal back the shade. I managed to reuse most of the material and the only 'new' material that I bought was the raffia string. I use the raffia string to secure the shade netting.
After completing the half size nursery, I found that I need to create a shade for the Gaharu / Agarwood seedlings too. So put up another section.
Managed to complete today, and had some time to spare. As I still had the energy, I cleared off a small section and did some cuttings from our lime tree. Trying to propagate more lime plants. The weather forecast indicates high chances of rain for the next 10 days.
I usually check the weather forecast everyday via weather-forecast.com . I find this good as it does give a 10 days forecast. Also there is a weather station very near to our farm.

Shall be busy tomorrow, gathering our produce and sending them down to the city the next day. On 21st Aug, my leave starts and shall be away for the next 9 days. Hopefully when I'm back, I can see the lime cutting propagate.
Only left with clearing off the weeds and our refurbished nursery shall be fully operational.


No comments:

Post a Comment