Monday, April 28, 2014

Approach Grafting & Stone Grafting.

Distinguishing feature of approach grafting is that two independently growing, self-sustaining plants are grafted together. This self-sustaining characteristic of both plants which are to be grafted insures survival of both even if the grafting attempt is not successful. However odds of being successful are greatly enhanced because of the active growing condition of both plants involved and absence of a time limitation required for the healing of the graft union to occur before the dependent scion dies from lack of sustenance.

This grafting technique could be useful for me as the weather recently is extremely hot & relatively dry. I took interest into this technique as the previous Jackfruitthat I purchased is from Thailand and comes with Approach graft.
SongSang Red from Thailand.
I had also seen Durian being Approach grafted during my trip to The Philippines.
Note the raffles strings.
My Thai friend is also doing Approach graft for Avocado.
My initial though is that I need to sort out how to secure the rootstock to the mother tree. Next, I shall need to have watering source nearby. It also preferably be shaded. Accessibility to the mother tree (not too tall). Am trying to figure how to overcome these problems.

In the mean time, I did some Approach Graft on the small plant-let of the Jackfruit. Just for the feel of it.

Stone Grafting (Epicotyl).
Stone grafting is popularly used in Mango grafting. Am looking into it to see if this is applicable for Avocado. Shall do some reading first and may try some when I get back to the Farm 1st May.

No comments:

Post a Comment