Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Avocado Plant Breeding.

I had though of creating a plant breeding program for Avocados as it is close to impossible to obtain quality varieties of Avocado plants locally.
Avocado Plant Breeding.

There are lots of questions in my mind. Which is the best variety? Which is the most suitable variety to grow locally. Which variety are most accepted by the local market? Or neighboring countries? Which variety has the longest shelve life? Which variety perform the best in logistic, like packaging, transportation etc and etc.
Avocado Hybridization.

As of last year I though of initiating a breeding program for long term production to produce a hybrid locally that can satisfy all the local needs. A personal Holy Grail of sort for Avocado. This shall takes up a very long time and I don't think I have the resources to even start it.
Avocado Trees In Plant Breeding.

Am shelving this project as I had found a place that is already doing this. They had already accumulated more than 30 years of experience and had already started to release their Hass Hybrid. I don't need to re-invent the wheel. I can just tag on to their research, learn & gain from them. I guess I only have to work on localizing their hybrid. This shall save us tremendous resources. Shall try to initiate contact & communication and hopefully work with them in the near future. Am very grateful to them letting me in to tour their facilities.
Hass Avocado.

The research center is located in a valley of about 640 meters, surrounded by hills of more than 860 meters. They are also blessed with black fertile soil, with water (stream). A comparison to our farm, ranging from 450 to 550 meters with red clayish soil and a stream at the bottom of the foot hill. I guess this should be adaptable and should not post too much of a challenge as we already have Avocados plants growing here, even Hass Avocado (from seeds).
Avocado.

I hope to make more trips here to further my understanding on Avocado and understand how hybridizing is carried out and share with all Avocado plant lovers.

While I was touring their facilities I notice other varieties like Pinkerton, Bacon, Fuerte & etc. Would love to get my hands on these too.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing useful info on virtually identical, here i got lots of knowledge about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have an avocado related question and I am hoping you can help. I planted some avocado seeds from local avocados that I bought in Camerons. They are growing now. One of them (that gets the most sun) is almost 3 feet high. Do you think it's worth caring for the plants for the next few years? Do you think the plants will fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello eMily, Thank you for your visit. The local Avocado, I think should be quite similar to the Borneo type. If it is, it may starts to fruit in 4 / 5 years. It is always worth to care for it as once it had grown, you can use it as a rootstock.
    You may also want to join Avocado Lovers Malaysia in FaceBook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raymond, I read about your 2013 post about I.C.. I would like to contact you and Alice about this. Please let me know how I can reach you. Cheers.

      Delete
    2. Hello Lee, so sorry to have missed you comment. You can contact me via FB
      https://www.facebook.com/raymond.etc

      Delete
  4. If you want any help related to yahoo problems Please visit my site Yahoo phone number uk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Raymond, I hope you can help me. I run a cultivar evaluation program in South Africa and most of our material is sourced from other breeding programs. To date we have evaluated over 100 cultivars. Im in the process of starting my own breeding program, and I could use some pointers. I have already started sowing seeds for open pollination. I hope to visit research centers that have breeding programs and learn from them. What research center is in your area, and may I have their email please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Raymond, I hope you can help me. I run a cultivar evaluation program in South Africa and most of our material is sourced from other breeding programs. To date we have evaluated over 100 cultivars. Im in the process of starting my own breeding program, and I could use some pointers. I have already started sowing seeds for open pollination. I hope to visit research centers that have breeding programs and learn from them. What research center is in your area, and may I have their email please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Sibongile Mhlophe, there isn't any on-going breeding station/ programe in our country, The Department of Agriculture started 1 long time ago, but it was abandon and all of these were before I got interested in Avocado. I myself have to travel to other countries to look at their facilities.

      Delete