Monday, October 28, 2013

Bagging Of Soursop, Annona muricata .

Bagging up Soursop fruits. Was inspecting my soursop and found some infected with mealy bugs.
Mealy bugs on my soursop.
After having treated them with power multicide, it started me thinking, why not bag it up. I don't really need to do it now as my intention is just to produce seeds for sapling. Just for fun. I used old news print, 2 layers as I wasn't prepared.

I'll do it with plastic bag the next time, most probably a size of 20" X 12". Actually I had deviced a plan to bag up with plastic bags, which I tried on the Jackfruit. Punched a couple of holes on the lower edges for water drainage / ventilation. Punched small holes along the perimeter of the opening. String it up with a raffle string. Climb up, bag the fruit and just tie up.
Annona muricata L

From my research, blue colored bags are better as insects don't register this color much. Even with the old news print, I try to abstain from colorful prints.

Bagging I'm sure shall not solve all our problems. I'm sure it helps on the fruit flies. Still need to treat for mites & bugs. I guess I can expect nicer fruits, lesser blemish and lesser fruit flies attack.
It rained heavily plus strong wind the night after I bagged. Upon inspection in the morning in the morning, I found 2 bags had fallen. When I'm back at the farm, shall redo after my vacation.

2 comments:

  1. I guess it is a good thing that soursop tree is not that tall. You won’t have a hard time bagging all its fruits. And I just hope that your idea would spare those fruits from insects and other harms.
    A1DV.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, it's listed as a small tree, but can reached a height of up to 30 ft.I prune it to keep it low for ease of management. Now I have a problem, I kind of have difficulty inspecting the fruits.

    ReplyDelete