Sunday, October 6, 2013

Results Of My Side Veneer Graft.

Continued from Jackfruit Side Veneer Graft.

Came back, did my inspection on the Jackfruit graft. Took me about 2 days to finish off the inspection. Am grateful that my improvement works. It was drought all the time since I was away. It only rained the night when I reached. Lots of seedlings die off. Check with my helper, says he did water every alternate day. Most of the poly bags look super dry. Maybe due to the afternoon heat.


Improvement of tying the plastic bags. Only 2 were blown off.
Improvement of lowering the wrapping pressure. Very much lesser rots even on those that did not 'take'
Improvement of keeping under shade. Higher successful 'take'.
Improvement of using new growth scion. Higher successful 'take'.


I notice that with a high humidity the stem has lots of the white node, which I think could be node of roots? These are more prominent on the older large rootstock.

Those that 'took' 120 plants.
 Those that failed, 230 plants.
120 / (120 + 230) = 34% . Yes so thankful that t I reached my target. The next session should be more challenging. As there are 230 plants that had been grafted twice. Shall have to inspect and grade them for the next grafting session. Hope to complete these before my next leave, 18th October. Those that does not qualify, I shall let them recuperate / heal until they regrow. I still have maybe a hundred ungrafted / fresh rootstock. Again most are getting large. Don't think I shall be able to finish these this month.

Germinated around a hundred more seeds, lazy man's style. Clear off the old raised bed which is under a 70% shade netting. Dug a couple of trenches. Put in seeds. Watered.
 Covered with the soil that was dug up. Watered again. Shall wait for these to germinate, then transfer into poly bags when I have the time.

3 comments:

  1. where did you get the clear plastic bags?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please contact me at 7005667054 for clear plastic tubes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips regrading poly mailers. You provided the best information which helps us a lot. Thanks for sharing the wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete