Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Black Mission Fig.

Let's start some serious Fig work. My Turkish Figs are growing, but unfortunately most Turkish Figs needs caprification. Also I don't now what variety am I having. The special wasp is not available in Malaysia. Hence the flower may not get pollinated and drop, not setting into fruit.

Ordered some Black Mission. It arrived rather quick. Why Black Mission? I had never tasted any fig before, so no  special preference, just a trial run and it was available. Also I had checked with some friend at Ficus Carica for everyone 
 Black Mission is self fruiting, can be grown in our local weather & is easy to manage.

Black Mission
Among the most esteemed and available fig varieties in the world, the Black Mission is believed to have originated from a seedling tree somewhere in the Balearic Islands off the coast of Spain. The variety, once known as the Franciscana, became the chief fig of the Catholic missions — and as the variety was adopted by the growing fig industry of California, the name Black Mission was born. This fig is smallish, with dense pink flesh heavily studded with seeds that give a pleasant crunch to the silky flesh. The texture of a perfectly ripe one is sticky and jammy — and those left extra long on the tree, where the sun dries them out like prunes, are extra sweet and gummy.


 Some were rooted & budding when I received. Let them acclimatise to our local weather. Spread them out on a container, with lots of wet toilet papers.
 Took out the rooted cutting for potting. Got 6 of the rooted cuttings.
 Potted them and left them at the nursery.
The rest I keep them at a dark corner in my room.
Temperature here recently is getting hot & dry. I think a temperature of 28 ~ 30 degrees C and a humidity level of 70 ~ 90% should be good. Was experiencing a high temperature of up to 34.5 degrees C and a low humidity of 40%. As my room was facing west, the afternoon hot sun created an oven effect.
Increased the humidity by putting the container into a plastic bag and keeping the bag up. Over the next couple of days, there were no much progress. Decided to try rooting hormone. ( more on this on the next post).


As I'm going on leave, I potted all of them as there is no one to look after.



Let's keep track of their progress when I return in May.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Raymond,

    Do you still keep your fig..? I am from Penampang and recently have the interest in growing fig trees. Please email me at decjiji@yahoo.com
    Thank you
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete