Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Grafting Tool. My Impression.

Was examining the failed grafting and fond that even though the grafting did not 'take' there were minimum damage to the rootstock. Unlike the conventional way of using the knife.
Failed Avocado grafting.
The dying part doesn't really spread very far. I only get a few death rootstock.
Death Avocado scion.
The other advantage of using the grafting tool is that the shape is fixed (when cut correctly) and you do not need to reshape for them to fit. This reduce tremendously the time to practice our cutting skill.

As I am removing the failed Avocado grafting and redoing it, am trying to set up some qualifier so that I can use the tool effectively & successfully. Am sure that the grafting tool was designed to help ease out grafting if all the conditions are met.

The foremost conditions are that the join part should be smooth and of uniform diameter. The diameter of the scion & rootstock should be of the same (closest possible). These should create more contact through out the cut length including the shoulder. 

The 3 blades, I guess shall work well for different occasion. The U is good only for a minimum stem diameter of 8mm. Anything smaller, the parallel wing do not have enough body mass to be strong enough to hold the other side (basing on Avocado). The V & Omega has yet to be determined, but I guess it should be thicker, due to the nature of the shape. I would guess 10mm. Maximum is 15 mm, that is the mouth of the tool.

Cutting should be made perpendicular to the stems and at the center. Should the cut misaligned off center, both should be of the same distant. This need a bit of practice as there is no aiming device. Am still trying to look for a way to 'aim' the cut so as it is perpendicular and dead center.

Joining of the scion & rootstock should align correctly on the upper & lower part of the U. Also take note on the shoulder, which can aid increasing cambium contact.

Wrapping
Using the grafting tool, wrapping have to be modify to suit. Wrapping can not be done too high above the join as the torque / pressure / tension of the wrapping tape shall displace the joint alignment.

After fixing the qualifier at minimum 8mm stem diameter, I couldn't find any opportunity to test the grafting tools. Most of my rootstock are still smaller than 8mm. Guess I have to resort back to using the knife for the time being.

Was doing grafting in the field and took the grafting tool along. Field grafting is really challenging. Need to re-work my grafting procedure to keep things simple and tools to a minimal.

Anyway, task of the day is a trial to graft 4 Borneo Avocado trees, maybe about 2 years old, planted by seeds. I would want a top working  (yet) as I'm yet to graduate till that level, so I'm grafting to the branches.
Borneo Avocado grew by seeds.
Grafting on the branches post lots of challenges. 1 of them is the the branches are almost horizontal. I tried to use the grafting tool whenever it qualifies and reverted to my knife cut when it's not. Tried the V blade as it was still attached, couldn't get the scion to stand into place no matter how I turn it. It keep on dropping. I figure that this is a job more suitable for Omega blade.
Grafted, Avocado tree.
The Omega offer more grip, thus holding the scion in place before wrapping.
The Omega gives a good grip, free our hands to wrap.
Done, grafted the Avocado tree.
I did a couple of graft per tree, and hope that at least 1 takes. I guess the successful rate should be quite low. I also tried other grafting method depending on the circumstances.
The last trees was the most challenging, on a steep gradient.
The last tree was challenging, have to graft sitting on the soil and use a leg to anchor at the trunk. Shall check back in about 2 weeks.

Ran out of candidates. Took the grafting to Soursop.
Just for fun, grafting Sousop.


Now the big question, was the tool useful?
To me it is as it lighten the load when doing mass grafting (when all condition are met). It helps in the cutting & shaping.

Note that this tool only help in a certain part of the grafting process only and does not guarantee grafting success. For successful grafting, kindly refer  back to the basic, that is cambium contact.




No comments:

Post a Comment