Friday, August 15, 2014

Marcotting / Air Layering Breadfruit Tree.

Had been reviewing my procedure for preparing our planting material for the past few months. Looking for method to produce quality planting material in quantity with a limited budget for our own planting in the shortest incubation time.
The Breadfruit tree next to the wooden column.

My first trial on Air layering was about 3 years back, was a tourist farmer at that time with practically zero knowledge. Did quite a numbers of trial on Breadfruit & Avocado trees, all failed. It kind of left an impression with me that it's difficult & don't work.
I didn't took notice that it had rooted until my helper informed me.

Since I am having difficulty in propagating Breadfruit and Pomegranate, it kind of make me access  Marcotting / Air Layering again. Decided to try on Breadfruit first, it being seedless. Since I had finished my task early before I go on leave on July, decided to have some fun and tried on a total of 4 Breadfruit trees.
Breadfruit tree rooted.

Breadfruit No. 1 potted.
Out of the 4, 1 failed.
Failed marcotting. I had it re-do on a lower level.
Since the top still looks good, decided to pot it anyway and hope it'll grow.

I tried some with the coco peat disk. It comes dried so have to soak it in water for a couple of hours for it to get re-hydrated. It is more convenient and light weight.
Using Coco peat disk.
This disk are only in small size, I wish they have a bigger ones. As it is, it's only suitable for small size stems.
Another air layering using the disk.
Harvested successful Air Layered Breadfruit tree.

Lovely roots.
Hope it'll grow into a productive Breadfruit tree.
Made more air layering on Breadfruit trees.
Air layered Breadfruit tree, in the making.

Air layered Breadfruit tree in both trunks, in the making.

Air layered Breadfruit tree, in the making.
Need to wait for re-growth.
There is a Breadfruit tree, after harvesting, liquid is flowing out from the cut. Had it sealed, but there are still stain. Shall be incubating this and wait for re-growth before attempting further air layering.


Did 3 trial on the Pomegranate. I only realized that there are some sort of thorns on the pomegranate while doing this. On the matured stems, removing the bark is difficult. I then tried on a green stem, which is very easy to remove. Made a date stamp on all the marcotting and check back in about 3 weeks.

Other plants that I would like to try this on include Jackfruit (since it's a close relative of Breadfruit) Fig,  Lime, Wax Apple, Mango and even Avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment