Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Grafting Tools, First Trial.

Did a trial run on the grafting tool on on Rubber trees, Jackfruit Tree and Avocado last month. Checked on the grafting when I came back to the nursery. None of the Rubber trees & Jackfruit trees took. Only a small numbers of Avocado took.

Look like the Grafting tool is not an easy to use tool. I have to learn how to use it effectively & successfully. As it's my first time, I am playing around with it. I started off with the U blade as it came attached with the tool. Cutting a U on the scion is not as easy as it seems. There is no aiming and I usually missed the center while cutting the rootstock. Cutting the scion is much easier. While playing with it I realized that the pruning part may post a danger and may injure our fingers. Kindly take necessary precaution. Thank goodness I was not cut. Personally I would prefer the pruning part to be on another tool.
Grafting Avocado with a U blade grafting tool.
Avocado grafting, U join.




Rear view of the grafting tool.
Can I use the hole at the bottom to aim? When cutting on the rootstock, it could be an issue. I then turned it around and tried U "saddle". Inverted U on the rootstock.
Avocado, saddle U cut.

Avocado grafting Saddle U cut.
I then switch the blade to the Omega style. Blade switching, click here.
Omega Cut, saddle.

Omega cut, grafting of rubber tree.
Yes, for Omega, we can use it straight or saddle. For the Omega style, we have to slide in the scion from the side. If we were to push it in, it shall damage the 'O' part.
One side matching.

Not matching side.

Scion and rootstock of different size, we can only match i side.

While turning the bobbin  I was surprised to see that the mark of the U and Omega side by side.

Note the cut marks of U & Omega cut.
 I only realized that they are of different 'depth'. I took the  V blade to compare and it's at the same length of the U. I wonder why.

Finally, I decided to try the V blade. This is the style that I had the most reservation. I feel that it is difficult to wrap as the sides shall slip out when the sides are compressed.
V blade attached on the grafting tool.
Did a couple of Avocado graft. Again The V can be used straight or saddle.
Avocado V shape grafting.
I just did a couple of straight V. Shall try the saddle when I have the opportunity. Stay tune for my impression of the grafting tool, coming soon.








No comments:

Post a Comment